To add and configure new volumes on a current volume group in LVM
Question: How to add a new volume to an existing LVM volume group.
Note: This post assumes that there is an existing Logical Volume Group already.
1. Verify if LV Group exists:
2. Create Logical Volume:
# lvcreate -L [size] [VG Name]
Note: The command will create a Logical Volume with the desired initial size inside the existing Volume Group.
3. Format newly created Volume to the specified format, usually in ext4 format:
# mkfs.ext4 /dev/[volume group]/[volume name]
4. Get the UUID of the newly created Volume:
# blkid | grep [volume group] | grep [volume name]
5. Create a new entry for the filesystem in /etc/fstab. Enter the UUID information and nofail mount option in the configuration.
6. Create newly created Volume’s mount point:
# mkdir -p [mountpoint]
7. Mount the filesystem:
# mount [mountpoint]
8. Verify newly created mount point:
# df -hP